Saturday, August 20, 2016

Chromebook Hacks... a "quick-start" guide for students and teachers (and my foray into infographic creation with Canva)

As the next school year quickly approaches, I got the dreaded email requesting teachers "please return the Chromebooks you borrowed for the summer so that they can be distributed to students in September."

I knew it was coming... but it sucked the wind out of me.

I've spent the summer immersed in all-things-Chromebook; I tend to learn by experiencing and manipulating things (my science-teacher persona) and then I feel pretty competent. All of a sudden, though, I realized that without the Chromebook to use for myself during the school year, I'd revert back to doing things the Windows-way (school) and Mac-way (home).

Chromebooks are pretty simple machines. But like most teachers, I want my instruction to be poised and polished and don't really look forward to stumbling as I guide students through their own getting-to-know-you process with the new Chromebooks. To help teachers like me as well as our students, I created a "Chromebook Hacks" Infographic that can be a quick reference guide. I included those terms and processes that students are likely to hear during the course of instruction from any teacher using 1:1, focusing on the functional things that are unique to Chromebooks. Why "hacks?" Might as well play to my main audience: 5th through 9th graders who love getting sucked-in by clickbait!

The bonus is that I got a chance to experience using Canva, an online graphic design tool that I just needed a good reason to explore (more on that below).

See the clickable, full-size PDF version of my infographic here (that's what I will be sharing with colleagues and students). You can also share by Tweet, Facebook post, or link.


So what about Canva? I found it pretty intuitive to use, and simple to drag/drop/redesign text, images, and a library of free extras. The pre-made layouts are plentiful and for me were mostly useful for generating ideas and reminding me of what "works" for an infographic. In the end, I started with a blank background and built from scratch.

Would I use it with students? Not as a first-introduction to digital graphic design, but perhaps as an advanced tool. Students without more basic instruction (good practice with design using Google Drawings or Microsoft Publisher is a nice start) would get bogged-down in all the options. As students become better designers (and more accustomed to producing a visually-appealing product for an audience), I could see introducing Canva as one choice from the several good, free-to-start, online design tools (like Piktochart, Venngage, and more).

Last note... Infographics aren't designed to be the final destination for information, but are a great quick-reference guide. Be sure to supply your students with a way to access tutorials or help pages. And the next time they say, "how do I...", think about your response and whether it should simply give them the answer or lead them to figure it out on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment