Saturday, October 8, 2016

Embracing a "pay it forward" mentality

Years ago, I followed what I still consider to be the best professional advice that I've ever received; my teaching internship mentor advised me to join the OMNI Mentor Network's science email listserv. My primary NYS Regents course being Earth Science, I quickly learned that the ESPRIT network of educators was a wealth of knowlege. (I wonder how many cumulative years of teaching the hundreds of participating educators have??)

Over time, I've built my Earth science curriculum by begging and borrowing from fellow ESPRIT participants. I've come to recognize the names and work of the list's "experts" without ever having met them face-to-face (every once in a while I've made a random connection at a science conference, which is a neat experience). These educators from across New York (and now farther!) selflessly offer advice, share lesson plans, and collaborate on some pretty complex learning opportunities, all as an online community. Sometimes I've been enough of an expert myself to give back and contribute to the conversation. But mostly, I listen and learn and absorb the hundreds of years worth of knowledge being shared. 

These listserv communities, and the ever-increasing professional development teachers can find within the Twitterverse, are an excellent example of having a "pay it forward" mentality. Educators post and share resources with no expectation of personal repayment. We do it because it's what's best for our profession and, in turn, for our students. It's professional development at its best; it does not take long to realize that by putting yourself out there, you are really getting "repaid" tenfold.

Why then, are so many educators excited to share with a virtual personal learning network, with folks who don't even know each other personally, but are reluctant to do so within their own schools? Maybe we walk into professional development with the expectation that it's going to be poorly managed or of little value (guilty!). Maybe we are too comfortable with each other and don't think there is anything else we can share. Maybe we are overwhelmed just keeping up with our own schedule and don't feel that there is time during the day to network. Maybe we don't recognize that a teacher's expertise in a different subject and grade level really can be worthwhile for our classroom, too.

I ran across a Huffington Post article recently about paying it forward in the business world. Author Tammy Leigh Kahn presented four common roadblocks that are entirely applicable in education as well:
"I believe we can all embrace the “pay it forward” mentality, no matter what phase of business or life we are in, provided we can get past a few roadblocks that stand in our way. 
1. My neighbor’s success somehow makes me a failure.  
2. I don’t have anything to pay forward. 
3. The world doesn’t care about me. 
4. I feel guilty for my success." 
When it comes to professional development, we don't always need to pay an expert, take a course, or look online. We simply need to accept that another teacher's expertise does not undermine our own. Think of how much can happen if you consciously listen and learn and absorb the hundreds of years of experience right in your own building.

Lastly, have the expectation that your time and knowledge are valuable to others as well. Put yourself out there before someone even has to ask for help. Embrace the pay it forward mentality and prepare to reap the rewards. We relish the times when our students finally recognize our generosity; why not set ourselves up to feel the same with our colleagues? The feeling of communal success is better than the individual any day, and it's contagious.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment